Title: Consultant – Baseline Survey and Stakeholders Mapping for TALKAM Against Trafficking in Persons (TATIP) Project
Type of Contract: Short-term
Open Date: Feb 09, 2023; Questions Deadline: Feb 15, 2023; Closing Date: Feb 21, 2023.
Target States: Delta, Enugu, and Sokoto
Duration of assignment: Date of Signature – March 3, 2023.
Devatop Centre for Africa Development (DEVATOP) is a human rights organization whose aim is to work with local, national, and global partners to address human rights abuses through technology, capacity building, advocacy, research, and sustainable interventions.
Through its tech-driven initiative known as TALKAM, DEVATOP is accelerating citizen-led reportage and actions against human rights abuses in Africa.
DEVATOP, with support from Palladium under the Strengthening Civic Advocacy and Local Engagement (SCALE) Program, funded by USAID, is implementing the TALKAM Against Trafficking in Persons (TATIP) project. TATIP is designed to utilize technology and traditional methods to counter trafficking in persons with a focus on prevention, protection, partnership, and prosecution. TALKAM is a pidgin English word meaning to Speak Out. The project – TATIP, scheduled to be implemented in three states namely Delta, Enugu, and Sokoto, is a new and expanded phase of the TALKAM Project which was initially supported by the U.S Embassy in Nigeria in 2021.
The project is designed to achieve the objectives paraphrased as follows:
- Enhance awareness on the dangers of TIP through engaging anti-human trafficking champions and journalists to carry out strategic actions, as well as and sensitizing citizens through radio and social media.
- Increase identification, reportage, responses, and investigation to human trafficking cases.
- Enhance provision of psychosocial, professional counselling and skill support for identified survivors and vulnerable individuals.
- Foster collaboration and synergy between private sector, government and CSOs on tackling trafficking in persons.
This solicitation requests the expertise of an experienced consultant to conduct baseline survey and political economy analysis on countering trafficking in persons.
Purpose of the baseline:
- Rate the knowledge and understanding of residents of Delta, Enugu and Sokoto about human trafficking, signs, channels of reporting, extant laws and policies against human trafficking.
- Assess the knowledge of residents about TALKAM reporting platforms.
- Highlight the effective medium of communication and information dissemination within communities of the project states.
- Make projections about the possible reach of the various means of communicating anti-trafficking messages.
- Highlight the push/pull factors of human trafficking and their triggers dominant in each of the project states, and the hotspots in the project states
- Assess the level of identification and rate of response by relevant security agencies in the state.
- Analyze the identification, reporting, response, investigation, and prosecution of cases of human trafficking, and the noticeable barriers.
- Conduct a root cause analysis on the noticeable barriers and cultural factors that drive human trafficking.
- Assess the level of engagement of private sector on countering trafficking efforts.
Scope of Work/Deliverables:
- Baseline survey and Political economy analysis plan
- Develop and submit baseline survey tools for approval.
- Conduct baseline survey and political economy analysis.
- Review and determine baseline figures for TALKAM Against Trafficking in Persons activities.
- Submit Interim baseline survey report for review and feedback.
- Submit final baseline survey report incorporating feedback received on interim report.
- A consultancy report and recommendation to Devatop. The report should be in English.
The consultant to be contracted is expected to meet the following criteria:
- Must be registered with Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria with proof of registration and compliance with regulatory requirements (for organizations), or have relevant status of permit to work in Nigeria (for individuals)
- Must have a good understanding and practical experience of development work including advanced skills in social research, project impact evaluation, and development studies, and demonstrate knowledge of human rights, and human trafficking.
- The consultant must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in carrying out similar assignment and capacity for impact evaluation (a report of such work done in the last 2 years is a required evidence)
- Must demonstrate experience in developing tools for project baselines and impact evaluations.
- Must understand and demonstrate deployment of data-privacy and protection techniques
- Ability to apply a range of primary and secondary research methods including participatory methods.
- Experience in using qualitative and quantitative data analysis packages and presentation (E.g. SPSS, STATA, ATLAS.Ti, Nvivo, Power BI, Adobe Illustrator).
- Ability to factor in the local language of the project locations (Delta, Enugu and Sokoto), and understand the cultural context of the environment in carrying out the survey.
Quote Criteria/Payment Schedule
- DEVATOP will pay a consultancy fee based upon a mutually agreeable daily consultancy rate. Logistics for field trips will be arranged separately. When distance travel and/or lodging is required to carry out any component of the survey, DEVATOP will pay directly (to the hotel, airline, train, etc.) for all preapproved lodging and airfare expenses associated with this consultancy. Rates submitted should, therefore, not include an assumption of costs incurred by the contractor for travel-related expenses.
- Quotes must be submitted in Naira, as payment(s) to the contracted consultant will be made in this currency.
- Please note that DEVATOP will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) a 5% or 10% withholding Tax from the total consultancy fees for individuals or organizations in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
Method of Application:
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application with the title “Consultant – Baseline Survey and Stakeholders Mapping for TATIP Project” as the email subject to [email protected] Cc [email protected]
The application should highlight among other things:
- The consultant’s relevant experience,
- Profile of the research team (with each of the team member’s CV sent as annex to the application),
- Proposed survey plan/methodology,
- Work plan and quote
- How data will be transmitted and stored and used solely to guarantee protection and privacy.
- Reference letters from 2 individuals/organizations you have a working relationship with, and can speak on your capacity (sent as annex to the application)
- The application should be a maximum of 6 A4-sized pages, excluding annexes.
N/B: At the core of our work and culture is the promotion of the rights of marginalized groups, as well as embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion. It is on this note that we encourage applications from application from individuals and organizations who share in this principle, and/or have a personal story that reflects why this principle should be promoted.
Download the Request for Quotation PDF