Title: Consultant – Production of short films for TATIP Project
Type of Contract: Short-term
Open Date: Jan 30, 2023; Questions Deadline: Feb 15, 2023; Closing Date Feb 21, 2023.
Duration of assignment: Date of Signature – March 3, 2023.
Devatop Centre for Africa Development (DEVATOP) is a human rights organization whose aim is to work with local, national, and global partners to address human rights abuses through technology, capacity building, advocacy, research, and sustainable interventions.
Through its tech-driven initiative known as TALKAM, DEVATOP is accelerating citizen-led reportage and actions against human rights abuses in Africa.
DEVATOP, with support from Palladium under the Strengthening Civic Advocacy and Local Engagement (SCALE) Program, funded by USAID, is implementing the TALKAM Against Trafficking in Persons (TATIP) project. TATIP is designed to utilise technology and traditional methods to counter trafficking in persons with a focus on prevention, protection, partnership, and prosecution. TALKAM is a pidgin English word meaning to Speak Out. The project – TATIP, scheduled to be implemented in three states namely Delta, Enugu, and Sokoto, is a new and expanded phase of the TALKAM Project which was initially supported by the U.S Embassy in Nigeria in 2021.
The project is designed to achieve the objectives paraphrased as follows:
- Enhance awareness on the dangers of TIP through engaging anti-human trafficking champions and journalists to carry out strategic actions, as well as and sensitizing citizens through radio and social media.
- Increase identification, reportage, responses, and investigation to human trafficking cases.
- Enhance provision of psychosocial, professional counselling and skill support for identified survivors and vulnerable individuals.
- Foster collaboration and synergy between private sector, government and CSOs on tackling trafficking in persons.
A key approach of the TATIP project is the use of audiovisual contents to educate citizens on the dangers of TIP and expose the tricks of traffickers. The efficacy of audiovisual contents, especially short films to communicate messages to the public, and influence urgent action, is why short-films have been selected specifically as a toll to spur urgent community action, and encourage sustained engagement of the public on combatting human trafficking, while passing across the key issues of human trafficking based on the local context, in a professional manner that the viewers can relate with.
This solicitation requests the services of producer to coordinate the script writing, directing, and production of short films for the project.
Scope of Work/Deliverables:
- Draft scripts on countering Trafficking in Persons for use in producing two (2) short films on the TATIP project.
- Submit developed scripts for review and approval.
- Coordinate directing, produce and submit 2 short films for review and validation.
- Submit final materials incorporating feedback received on initial submission.
The consultant to be contracted is expected to meet the following criteria:
- Must be registered with Corporate Affairs Commission of Nigeria (for organizations) or have relevant status of permit to work in Nigeria (for individuals). Able to show evidence of up-to-date tax payment to the government or tax exemption for non-profits, evidence of contribution to pension of personnel, and evidence of compliance with other government regulations as necessary.
- Must have and demonstrate good understanding and practical experience of development work including advanced skills in script writing, and directing, and video production.
- The consultant must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in carrying out similar assignments (a portfolio of such work done in the last 2 years is required evidence).
- Demonstrate knowledge of gender equality and social inclusion (GESI) in delivering on the assignment.
- Ability to factor in the local language of the project locations (Delta, Enugu and Sokoto), and transcribe materials into English, Hausa, pidgin, and Igbo is an added advantage.
Quote Criteria/Payment Schedule
- DEVATOP will pay a consultancy fee based upon a mutually agreeable daily consultancy rate for each of the 2 materials.
- The quotes submitted should include all associated expenses borne by the consultant to carry out this assignment, as no other expenses will be covered or reimbursed by DEVATOP.
- Quotes must be submitted in Naira, as payment(s) to contracted consultant will be made in this currency.
- Please note that DEVATOP will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) a 5% or 10% withholding Tax from the total consultancy fees for individuals or organizations in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
Method of Application:
The application should highlight among other things:
- The consultant’s relevant experience.
- Proposed scripts outline.
- Work plan and quote.
- Link to portfolio/materials produced within the last 2 years that are relevant to this request.
- Reference letters from 2 individuals/organizations you have had a working relationship with and can speak on your capacity (sent as annex to the application).
- The application should be maximum of 4 A4-sized pages, excluding annexes.
NB: At the core of our work and culture is the promotion of rights of marginalized groups, as well as embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion. It is on this note that we encourage applications from application from individuals and organizations who share in this principle, and/or have a personal story that reflects why this principle should be promoted.